Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Disney Lessons

So I came to a realization these last two days as we sat as a family to eat dinner. The Realization is that I am teaching my children nothing and that it really does take a village to raise a child, but it is really a village at disney land or somewhere in the Wonderful World of Disney.
Brooks got this annoying singing toy that should be outlawed for the mere fact that it can cause unexplained rage to appear in the most sane of people. Most Christmas noise-toys fall into this category. I really think that this is what Al Qaeda must use to train the idiots who are so mad at the western world that they strap on a PETN Chastity Belt and try to blow stuff up.
Anyways... Brooks got this toy that sings about the Zoo, animals that you can see there and temperatures that each likes and stuff like that. I was trying to sing the mutant music at dinner and the kids that I have who love to prove their dad wrong were proving their dad wrong about the lyrics, so I thought that I would get back at them and quiz them about habitat of Lions vs. Tigers etc. Somehow we got on the subject of the jungle and Hailey pipes up that bears live in the jungle. I kindly told her that bears did not live in the jungle. Of a sudden the little 4yr old know-it-all runs from the table and comes back carrying a movie. What did she have in her hot little paw, The Jungle Book and Who is on the cover. You know it..... BALOO the BEAR. "See, I told you so....." she tells me with her smug little grin. How could I argue with that. If it is in a Disney Movie, it must be so. I thought it was funny until tonight. There we were sitting at the table asking maddie how to spell some words. Maddie gets sick of the quiz session and so dad turns to Jadynn. "Hey Little Smart Girl", I say Can you spell Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. She begins to try to spell that hideously long not really a word, word and away runs the smallest girl who suddenly sprints back holding Movie #2 in her hand and handing it to Jadynn, says, "Here Jadynn, use this, it will help you." At this point I knew that it is not really "Everything I know, I learned in Kindergarten", but Everything my kids know, they learned from a Disney Movie...... GREAT> Hopefully they all don't all run off to be a warrior princess, or run away from home to seek a whole new world or run around all night in glass shoes, sneaking back to their bedroom at the crack of midnight having fallen in love with some shmo that dances fancy and they don't even talk enough to get their names exchanged, and then she marries him lickity split, but I really have no say in such things so I guess that we will just have to see.......

No comments: